Pio Pico Middle School

User Rating:
1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars
Loading...

Home of the Panthers.

Just south of Koreatown proper.

– – –

Pio Pico Span School (elementary and middle school) first opened in September 1987, as an elementary school. The Pio Pico School site was home to a convent and high school for girls from 1905 until 1977. In 1980, to make way for Pio Pico School, all of the original buildings were demolished except for the gymnasium and the Rose Cottage — these buildings are considered historical sites and are still used today. In June of 1996, Pio Pico School had its first 8th grade culminating class. The school started with 150 students and until recently had a student body of over 1800 students.

Currently, enrollment includes Grades 6, 7, and 8, with approximately 800 students. The majority of the elementary students who formerly attended Pio Pico now attend the community’s newest LAUSD school, Carson-Gore Elementary. Their graduating class then go to Pio Pico Middle School the following year.

The school was named in honor of Governor Pio de Jesus Pico, who was born to parents from (New Spain) Mexico and had a diverse heritage of Spanish, African, Native American and Italian ancestry. He was the governor of California until 1846.